A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Talk has already begun about Palin's run in 2012

Talks have already begun about Palin running for president in 2012. Greg Mueller the senior aid in the presidential campaign for Pat Buchanan states," Palin as the economic populist and traditional American values candidates will be very appealing by the time we get to 2012.” Several accusations have been made recently stating friction that exists between McCain and Palin. Recent issues have suggested Palin is the weight anchoring the McCain campaign from gaining any ground in the presidential election. Mueller says if the McCain campaign wins, then Palin should get a lot of the credit. “A lot of conservatives are not excited by John McCain, even though I think he has been saying some good things,” Mueller said. “If they vote, they will vote for Sarah.”

I tend to question the level of success this article states on Palin in the McCain campaign. I tend to believe McCain is far more of a positive force than Palin. I think this article was created by Republicans who already view the election as a lose. They are preparing the country for the 2012 election, and I am shocked they would even consider Palin as a candidate. I think Palin is unqualified in all categories required for a president.

5 comments:

jbhawkins said...

I don't believe Palin has been a positive influence on the McCain campaign. I think it was a political move that backfired. By choosing her as the vice presidential candidate, the republicans nullified their argument that Obama is in experienced. I also believe her inability to seem knowledgeable and competent through the media has also been a large contributor to her digression of McCain ticket.

kapletcher said...

I was in shock the first time I saw the headline about Palin being a possible 2012 candidate. The 2008 election is still going on. It's not over yet, and there's all ready talk about 2012. She was virtually unheard of outside of Alaska until McCain picked her as his VP, and now suddenly she's capable of running the country in 4 years? I could understand talking about 2012 after a couple of years, but not before the 2008 election is even determined.

Adam VanZile said...

I am also in disbelief that 2012 talks have begun. I find it a little premature to consider McCain's campaign a defeat. Palin's reputation was minimal before the McCain campaign and it is insane to consider her qualified for president. Talk of the next presidential election only decreases McCain's chances of a win; therefore Republican's need to avoid this topics so they do not encourage more campaign troubles for McCain.

Heather said...

I don't agree in Palin being a positive influence far from it. Many people I talk to and listen to say they would never want her to be president of this country. If the people didn't want Hillary Clinton they defintely won't want Palin as president. Hillary is far more expierenced and has helped New York not hurt New York like Palin has done in Alaska. It's pretty sad when your home state newspaper doesn't endorse you but your opponent. I read that Alaska doesn't support Palin, can't blame them. There is a reason why Saturday Night Live and other shows like Mad TV depict her the way they do.

Adam VanZile said...

I was not aware that Alaska did not support her. That is a great indication of her qualifications and character. When the people who know you best do not trust you, then it is safe to say that others should not as well. I agree that Saturday Night Live is a great example of her reputation, a big joke. I think the buzz going around about her possible presidential candidacy is wishful thinking for some and not a reality. I think some republicans are attempting to create some type of hype to build her up for the future.