A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Putting Palin in a Noose

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an article about a couple of L.A. residents placing a mannequin resembling Sarah Palin hanging outside of their home with a noose around her neck. The debate is whether this is a hate crime or not...I don't see a debate needed. If someone put a mannequin representing a well known student on campus with a noose around there neck, I imagine their would be hate crime charges. Could you imagine the out cry if this had been Obama? Obviously, there are reasons for the out cry if it was Obama, but should there be a double-standard in this? Should these actions be punishable? I imagine if it was President Bush in the noose, the Secret Service could easily take it as a threat to Bush's life.

I imagine these people hanging Sarah Palin are about equivalent to a recent study done of some Obama supporters in Harlem whom when asked "Do you support Obama picking Palin as his running mate?" responded "Yes, I think it's a great idea".

4 comments:

cjfrankum said...

This is absolutely ridiculously ignorant. I can't fathom how someone is allowed to do this. How can something like this happen today with anyone and not be considered a hate crime? And please someone tell me why Obama has not spoke out against it? Does he support it? And you are right, this is nothing but a huge and ridiculous double standard.

Adam VanZile said...

This event is clearly a hate crime. I cannot even begin to rationalize why it would not be. I am baffled by the message the residents are attempting to send. The only two possible messages I see are a threat to Palin's life or a hate crime. And yes, there is a major double standard that must be addressed. No political candidate deserves that type of attention and treatment.

Heather said...

Obama would never say that he approves of this action. I'm not a big fan of Sarah Palin but I don't do a noose for her. I think things are getting heated up with the campaign and people's feelings are getting hurt for just stupied stuff. We have the right for free speech and if people want to express themselves why not. There are others things to camplain about having to do with all the candidates. People are just expressing themselves it's a free country. I havent complained about the racism that is going on with some McCain supporters or things they have been doing like stealing my signs.

cjfrankum said...

You cannot even begin to compare stealing a sign to putting Palin in a noose. That is not even in the same ballpark of an act. I don't think acting like you're hanging someone is allowed, even if this is a free country. It does have its limitations.