A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Obama Still Leading in the Swing States

Although the most recent polls show a smaller gap between the candidates in several of the key swing states, Obama continues to maintain his lead. Its difficult to tell how accurate these polls truly are. Will the same people actually exercise their right and vote on November 4th? And how large and diverse is the population sample?
However, it does not seem that McCain will be able to catch up this late in the game and his attack strategies continue to push voters away. I think he uses the same sayings like "maverick" and most recently "Joe the Plumber" until they come across as fake and fall on deaf ears.
I suppose on November 4th, Americans will finally know who will be serving our country for the next four years.

4 comments:

Jason Adams said...

I'm not sure if peoples' ears a deaf quite yet. I can still hear "Joe the Plumber" commercials haunting me in my sleep. It's interesting to see all these web ads, too. Not the videos, but the actual animated ads on MySpace, Facebook, Youtube, and other sites. They all seem to highlight Obama. If not that, then they are joke ads aimed at making fun of the election.

Anonymous said...

On candidate's website or the other popular websites, it's commone to see the campaign ads designed so carefully to help the campaign team to either praise their own candidate or to criticise or even ridicule their candidate's opponent. These ads are quite influential and impressive because the designer manipulates the rhetorical functions, the language and tone, the videostyle together to achieve their purpose. Even though the audience is critical enough to figure out the implied meaning of some of the negative ads, they still find those ads quite shocking.

rruelas said...

I agree with eashbrook here. I agree that it looks as if McCain can't catch up this late into the election; and that his attack campaigns are definitely pushing potential voters away, in my opinion. As a swing voter, I definitely don't want to hear why Obama's unfit for the job, or McCain's holier than thou arguments.

cjfrankum said...

I am not so much burnt out on the whole "Maverick" thing, but I can tell you everytime I see the "Joe the Plumber" ad, I get real irritated and change the channel. It has already been beat to death.
In regards to the polls, I just wanna know where these statistics come from!? I have a hard time believing that Obama is dominating all the swing states when I have seen no evidence as to who these polls consist of. I know i have never been polled!!! But, I do agree with you. If McCain is behind as far as they say he is, barring a monumental Obama collapse, it looks like we are setting ourselves up for a historical time.