A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Volunteers aren't calling it quits until polls close

Surrogates aren’t done with their volunteer work just yet. I was awoken early this fine Election morning to a stranger on the other end of my telephone asking me to volunteer “for Barack Obama’s sake.” “How did you get my number?” was my initial thought, but that thought was immediately followed by “What is there left to be done? We’re voting today!” I guess I never really realized just how many people are still left standing undecided.


I don’t know if this is true for the McCain camp (someone inform me if they know otherwise, please), but Obama activists are STILL phone-a-thoning and door-knocking just until the closing of the polls tonight (in Indiana’s case 6 or 7 p.m. – those poor chaps in California will be hard at work until at LEAST 11 p.m.).

The Obama camp can in part pat themselves on the backs for a “job well done” recruiting and maintaining campaign activists. The volunteer section of their website helps surrogates organize opportunities that can influence voters’ decisions…even up until today!


It’s not too late – you can still help the candidate of your choice today by volunteering! At the very least, VOTE. As Bob Schieffer’s mom used to say: “Go vote now; it’ll make you feel big and strong.”

No comments: