A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

How a tie could mean the end of the world...

Candidates need 270 electoral votes to win the presidency. It sounds like a pretty simple concept. However, there is a possibility (more than you might think) that the race could end in a tie, with both candidates holding 269. In this instance, as a Reuters article explains, the House of Representatives would pick the president with each state getting 1 vote. If this is the case, the next president wouldn't be decided until January. That means we'll have to sit in this agony of wondering for another 2 months. And clearly, this will mean the end of the world...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been pulling out my hair (what little I have) as I wait. The last thing I want to see again are more attack ads explaining how Obama is inexperienced or McCain is old and all those rhetorical functions that we learned about will once again be relevant. We'll learn all about Obama's upbringing, his political standing on issues, and his image will be again sculpted/redefined. Or there may be more debates

To help prevent this massacre of my spirit, I encourage all of you to go out and vote today, because if Obama gets Indiana, we won't have to wonder who wins.

No comments: