A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Change in America

In his speech following the election results, John McCain pledged his support to Barrack Obama. This is a consistent theme in speeches made by the losing nominee, but I hope it was more than a token gesture. I hope McCain meant what he said there, just as I hope Obama will live up to what he has said he will do. There have been a lot of comments, articles, and accusations that have been thrown at Obama. I hope none of them are true. If you talk to many people who voted for John McCain, they didn't seem to defend McCain. The thing I've heard most is a fear of what and who Obama is. I hope all that fear is completely unfounded, and that Obama will be able to stand true to what he has said he would try to do from the start. Unite the country, make it a better place to live and work. Unfortunately, I have found very little evidence that would suggest that Obama is what the far right has said he is. I say unfortunately because it saddens me deeply to think that 46% of the nation would vote in fear if there is little to no substance behind it. I hope that this election will show capital hill that America isn't happy with the way things are going, and that they will recognize Americans are more unhappy with the divided mentality than a certain party.

No comments: