A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Immediate Reaction

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the campaign election last night. I was working, but I feel like I received some great reactions and feedback from customers that came in to dine. As 7 pm rolled around, and the restaurant was filling up. Almost every table was conversing about the election and what they had heard so far. It is so weird to think, that during the past few months or even yet, the past year or so. No one really shows interest in the election and it is not the main topic until....Election Day. For the majority last night, I would have to say were Obama supporters. What I also found interesting was that as I was talking with people about voting and such, they all said they were not sure who to exactly vote for. They did clearly identify themselves with either being a Democrat or a Republican, but they voiced the opinions that they did not support either candidate, and when it finally came down to it they had to go with their morals and the morals of the candidates. As far as the morals went, McCain supposedly had them and Obama did not. I did not agree that with at all. The way McCain would attack Obama throughout the campaign with his ad and crack under pressure, I clearly do not see him being moralistic. I was pretty excited to hear the results that Obama had won. We were updated all night, with people calling and telling us the numbers. I remember thinking at one point, McCain still had a chance, but in my gut I felt Obama was going to sweep the board. Which he did.

2 comments:

jbhawkins said...

I believe the morals the people were talking about were their stances on issues such as abortion and gay marriages. Do you really think Obama didn't attack McCain's weaknesses? McCain's weaknesses were his relationship with George Bush, and is party positions on economic issues. Those where his weaknesses and that is what Obama went after. Obama's weaknesses where his associations and his inexperience. That is what McCain went after to suggest that Obama didn't attack McCain because of high morals is a little silly. He didn't attack McCain personally because it was in his best interest to focus on making McCain = Bush, and then label McCain as the negative ad maker. It's politics, and Obama did a better job.

Adam VanZile said...

I believe both candidates have morals; and as Joel stated everything that occurred was simply vintage politics. Clearly, no political party would nominate a candidate who has no morals or their morals were questionable. I definitely agree that the way McCain attacked Obama throughout the election places some debate/questioning on his moral's; however when it comes down to it McCain is a great American.