A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

"She's Cute"

These two words by Michelle Obama today are already creating talk. At one of her women's roundtable discussions she spoke about how Obama is focused on equal pay, health care, affordable college, and teacher recruitement. She said this is what the election should be about. But somehow the focus of her speech by the press has not been about these issues but about one other sentance. "People shouldn't make a decision this time based on, 'I like that guy' or 'she's cute,'" Michelle said. Large round of applause. "And I'm talking about me."

She never mentioned Palin's name, but her crowd was chanting "No Palin." And it is obvious that the only person actually in the campaign that can be called a "she" is Palin. Many people are taking this as "another sexist comment" or "shooting (Barack) in the foot with a dumb comment..." But many others say they think that Michelle was making a joke by calling herself cute.

I believe that people do need to stop worrying about these small things and stay focused on the real issues that Michelle and the candidates are talking about.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/president/28607764.html?elr=KArks8c7PaP3E77K_3c::D3aDhUec7PaP3E77K_0c::D3aDhUiacyKUnciaec8O7EyU

2 comments:

MLBasey said...

I think this is very true! I think that people put way too much emphasis on looks, and not the issues for real! I know that sounds weird, but even as I have just recently started watching the news, and actually paying attention to this, I have heard sooo much talk about Palin being very cute! I also so a news piece on how everyone is talking about her glasses! Even the guy who makes them said that after everything that has happened in one week they got orders from about 9000 people! But at the same time he said he wasnt a huge fan of Palin and McCain! But I agree that more needs to be taken about the real issues!

LKS said...

I feel like there has been a lot less talk about her looks and everything now that it has been a while since she has been selected as McCain's running mate and since the economy issue has been being focused on.