A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Let's talk about what matters

The general election part of the campaign communication process has been a total disaster so far. Both candidates should be legitimizing the political system and meeting campaign expectations. Instead, what we have been getting is one personal attack after another one.

As I was trying to figure out what I was going to write about, I went to different websites to see what is making the news. All I could find were articles on how Obama is talking about McCain’s dishonest campaign, about how Republicans are taking political lying to the next level, and how both candidates do nothing but talk about insignificant lipstick references and offensive ads.

It is true that we all expect Republicans to talk negatively about Democrats, and vice versa. But this time the negativity has become the focus of the campaign itself. The attacks going back and forth do nothing in terms of informing the public and legitimizing the political system. I think more and more people are getting tired of the stupid and offensive comments and ads making the news, and are starting to not even follow the campaign anymore.

I personally do enjoy some dirty politics; basically because I feel like it draws people in and engages them in the process. Plus, let’s face it, it’s kind of funny. But when dirty politics become the main focus of the elections, all they do is make you what to stay away from politics and ultimately make an uninformed decision (if you even chose to vote, of course).

Both candidates need to stop talking about each other and start talking about us, the people they are supposed to be serving if elected. I do not care to read about what the other candidate is doing wrong. I want to know what you (Obama or McCain) are going to do to improve this country. I want to be able to write about real issues on my next blog, and not about crap that does not matter at the end of the day. Electing a new president should give us some hope about what the future is going to look like. But if it is anything like what we have been seeing lately, it’s not looking too bright.

By the way, the only news related to politics I found worth watching in the last few days was the SNL Tina Fey impression of Palin. How sad is that?

2 comments:

rruelas said...

I agree with Mili 100% that the candidates need to focus less on slander and more on the issues that need to be resolved. Often times, I feel that the candidates spend more time mudslinging than talking about what their reforms will do for the nation; and when they do talk about what they'll do, it's so vague that it's to understand how they will go about doing what they say they will. I think Mili effectively summed up her post by saying "Both candidates need to stop talking about each other and start talking about us, the people they are supposed to be serving if elected."

Heather said...

Hey did you watch the Democrat and Republican Conventions? I noticed that the Democrats were more excited and there was less mudslinging then at the Republican convention. I think it is important to see what both sides have to say but I was disappointed with what the Republicans were doing. All they did was mudsling Obama and did not talk much about what they are going to do for their fellow Americans. I was disappointed and I also felt what Rudy Gullioni had to say was offensive to me and I did not appreciate what he had to say same with Sarah Palin. Abstinese only is not the way kids are going to have sex look at her seventeen year old. I voted Republican last election but now I'm switching over to Democrat. I believe they will be able to put this country back together. My family disagrees but I try to prove my point any time I can.