A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Campaign Ads, Gone to Far

Every election, we see campaign advertisements for each candidate; more so for the Democratic and Republican Party than any of the other parties. There are some that bash one another while others are more informative about a candidate’s life or political views.

Recently both the Democrat and Republican Party have reached an all time low in attacking one another. One example of a negative ad by the McCain campaign produced an ad stating that Obama favored sex education for kindergartners. What Obama really voted for was a legislation “that would teach age-appropriate sex education to kindergartners, including information on rejecting advances by sexual predators” (Yen). I believe kindergarten is pretty young to be teaching sex education.

An example of an Obama ad against McCain is about his age and how his style from a 1980s hearing was outdated. It is 2008, and who are we to say it matter too much what a candidates style is, we vote to support their outlook on issues, not so much on how they dress.

I myself am tired of seeing all the negativity in TV advertising. Both candidates seem to have gone too far. I don’t watch a lot of news, but I do see the commercials occasionally on TV or the Internet. I think that advertising shouldn’t be so much on attacking the other candidate; it should be more informative about what changes the candidate is going to bring if they become President.

4 comments:

MMPenner said...

I agree completely with you on the negative ads. It's one thing to try and tell the public why you should be the next president, but completely different twisting facts to make your opponent look bad.

I read up on Obama's view of teaching sex education to young kids and I actually agree with the idea. The hard part is to remain sensative to the age of the kids and ensure parents know what is going on in the classroom.

And for McCain to attack Obama on trying to prevent sex offenders from having their way with our kids is despicable. How can a man so hell-bent on ensuring the integrity of "family values" remain intact say that stopping sex offenders is such a bad thing? And on top of that, McCain missquoted Obama in his ad, further twisting the facts, then admitted to doing so on The View, but is still running the ad...

o_O huh?

MLBasey said...

I agree also with both of the views on this blog. I think that the ads that are used shouldn't be negative just because each person wants to become president. I just think "Whatever happened to playing fair?!" To me, when it comes to politics...does anyone even play fair anymore. It just seems that by using the negative stuff and twisting each other's words, makes that person look bad, eventually making them lose votes. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats what it seems like to me!

mili said...

I agree. The negative ads are just trying to get us to shift away from what is actually important. I think more negatively now of both candidates than I did just a couple of weeks ago, which is ridiculous considering the fact that we are at the last stage of the election process. They are doing absolutely nothing to gain our trust. Negative publicity is exactly that, negative. No matter who says it and who responds to it, it is all negative.

rruelas said...

I agree that the candidates should spend less time slandering their opponents and more time talking about issues. I feel that the candidates taking shots at each other is a waste of time; especially when there's so little time before the election occurs.