A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Friday, October 17, 2008

White Independents

According to an article on politico.com, Obama has taken the lead for the support of white independents. He has the edge of 45 percent to 43 percent in favor of McCain. The thing that shocked me was that 8 in 10 of independents are white. This is the group that the candidates need to cater to in these last few weeks. Most Republicans will vote for McCain, and most Democrats will vote for Obama, so that leaves the undecided independent voters. Voters still think Obama is better suited to handle the economy, whereas more people think McCain can handle national security. This poll has been a huge swing from just last week when McCain was up by as much as 8 percentage points. I guess it must be the ailing economy that is taking a toll on just about everyone. I consider myself an independent, and I am concerned about the state of things, especially since I'll be looking for a job in about a year and a half. How do the other independents feel about everything? Do you fit the poll of 8 in 10 for support of Obama?

1 comment:

TDYeager said...

I think this recent poll, as I too read this article on Politco shows that Barack Obama has been able to overcome the race factor, which while unfortunate, is still a factor for some Americans. While I personally do not support Obama, I think he should be applauded for breaking down barriers and the same goes to Hillary Clinton.
From a political standpoint, the largest concern for the Obama campaign was making voters comfortable with the candidate, and as these polls suggest, he has done just that.