A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Obama-Biden Tax Calculator

“What’s your Obama tax cut?” This is the first thing you see on Obama’s website, as of right now. If you click on it, it takes you to where you can put a little bit of information in and get a result of what your tax cut would look like under Obama’s plan and what you would get under McCain’s plan. It also shows some facts about Obama’s plan and a video runs putting down McCain’s plan. The video says McCain’s plan only benefits the wealthy, and compares McCain to Bush twice. I think it’s cute that when you put in an annual income of around $250,000 it says “You will probably not get a tax cut under the Obama-Biden plan.” If you put in anything lower than that it will give you actual amounts. For example, a family with a $50,000 - $75,000 annual income, two dependents, and college expenses would save $1,000 and “Plus, under Obama, you may be eligible for a $4,000 tax credit to pay for college expenses.” This is versus a “McCain tax savings” of $645. I looked at McCain’s website and could not find anything like Obama’s tax calculator on his. I think it would be interesting to see what his website would say when the same information was put in.

http://taxcut.barackobama.com/

2 comments:

Adam VanZile said...

I just inserted my information into the tax calculator and it stated I would receive a $1000 return and I am eligible for $4000 in college expenses. It also speculated I would receive $0 from the McCain campaign. I believe the Obama figures are a fairly accurate representation of his plan, but the McCain numbers may be exaggerated a little.

aswelcher said...

I also took the time to put my information into the Obama-Biden tax calculator on Barack's website. My information was very similar to Adam V. After having had the chance to hear so many of the details about Obama's planned tax cuts for 95% of America, these numbers that we enter seem to be rather accurate. I agree with Adam V. though in the sense that it would be interesting to see how the McCain refund numbers are figured, and if they are exaggerated at all. Hopefully at some point we will get a chance to see how McCain’s plan stacks up with Obama's, and see what kind of refunds and benefits we would receive from his plan.