A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Video Games, a great place to advertise?

Senetor Barack Obama has found a new way to advertise to young voters. His campaign has advertisements in eighteen games including Guitar Hero and Madden '09. There are advertisements on billboards and signs in the games. The ads target the main swing states including: Ohio, Iowa, Indiana, Montana, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Nevada, New Mexico, Florida and Colorado. This idea is aiming towards a "hard-to-reach group" to contact about the election which is male voters ages 18-34. This is a very creative and innovative way to target people who may not have gotten reached otherwise. Obama is the first candidate ever to do this kind of advertising. I will be interested to see if it makes a difference in the poles!

3 comments:

Adam VanZile said...

Most young voters do not follow the campaigns very well; therefore they are easily influenced. I remember when I was 18 and voted in my first election, I had no clue about the fundamental issues you needed to know in order to make an appropriate decision. I remember voting for Bush because my friends were and I thought I liked him more. Basically, new voters are easily influenced by simple things. I bet Obama swings a lot of votes from this advertising method because those voters finally have the power to vote and have no clue how to use it.

KBrown said...

I agree completely that it is an easy way to influence younger voters, especially when you are so young and do not know much about the issues to make a reasonable decision. I read an article a couple weeks ago that talked about Obama campaigning on the MTV network which is the first in presidential campaigns. I find it very interesting that there was more campaigning done and this time with games!

Adam VanZile said...

Campaigning on video games is a surprise to me. I think it will be more benefical than detrimental. I am surprised that there has not been more advertising on stations like MTV. Young voters seem to always be an untapped resource since most tend to base their decisions on popularity and not content. I know from experience, I use to be that way. I would have expected MTV to have more advertising than what it has thus far.