A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Palin and Biden Clash in Debate

Did Palin help the McCain campaign or did she hurt it during the debate? Did Biden do a little bit too much bashing on the McCain campaign and Bush administration or was he just trying to prove a point? These questions were all answered in the newspaper that I read. It was mentioned several times that Palin did not answer a question directly. Palin said in reply to this, "I may not answer the questions the way that either the moderator or you want to hear, but I'm going to talk straight to the American people and let 'em know my track record also."

Another thing that was pointed out was how Palin does not seem to know all the issues. She would hesitate to answer the issue or she would not answer them at all. Palin even jokingly said that I have only been doing this for five weeks, and Biden has been in the government for three decades.

Which would I feel more comfortable running this country? I can honestly say I do not know. We have the candidate that has been in the government system for several decades with a running mate that has only been in the system for a little while. Then you have the candidate that does not have a lot of experience in the political system, but has a running mate that has been in the system for a few decades. I am not sure which would be the best combination. I am looking forward to watching some more of the debates that way I get a better understanding of who is going to work best for our country.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122296343189798679.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the blogger in the sense that Palin seems to be inexperienced both in terms of her administration history and speech strategies. In the debate with Biden, she apparently is weak when responding to the challenge of Biden. She even jokes about herself in such a formal situation in front of the immediate and indirect audience of American public, which leaves most people a negative impression. Compared with the calm and forceful speech of Biden, who can always give series of evidence when attacking and fighting against the opponent’s attacks, Palin is a loser in terms of her leadership qualities. The public don’t believe she is competent, experienced and trustworthy.

MLBasey said...

That was the first debate that I have ever watched, and Im not sure I followed all of it, but I did learn a lot! The one thing that I did see and realized is that in fact Palin doesnt seem like a good fit for VP. I thought during the whole debate she was more of trying to be the "funny guy," instead of really getting down to business! Biden definately did a better job in the VP Debate, in my eyes!