A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Barack Obama is coming to town...

Wowie

Less than a month remains until the dawning of Election Day, and candidates are hitting choice states with real intensity in some “last” attempts to sway voters to their camp. This baby doesn't exactly look won-over.

Tomorrow at 12:15, Barack Obama will be making his 6th pit stop in Indiana to throw what’s being called “A Rally for Change.” Change…hmm. Sound familiar? There is no doubt in my mind that Obama will be throwing out a few different stock speeches in order to reach out Hoosiers: perhaps the economy and the working class will be the two most prominent topics on Obama’s lips tomorrow? We’ll find out. Well, I know I will—I’m skipping class to hear just what exactly he (and his speech writers…) have got to say. (P.S. There’s one seat left in my car, if anyone’s interested in going.)

Stock speeches aside, I’m heading to the rally because frankly, in the thick of the General Election Stage, I crave these expectations just like the rest of you! Speeches, rallies, bumper stickers, baby-kissing--they’re all campaign rituals that we as U.S. citizens demand to be fulfilled. It’s something like a “symbolic” trade off: hug my grandma, promise her health care, throw her a tee shirt, and I’ll guarantee you my vote. I suppose I’m glad that it’s not exactly THAT easy…

If you’re in the mood for “the lighter side of Politics,” check out this collection of politicians kissing babies:

http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_political/942823.html

Here’s a link to learn more about what’s going on with Barack in Indiana without the babies:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/inhome

1 comment:

aswelcher said...

It is interesting how some strategies change in the primary and general elections, and how some stay the same. I was able to attend an Obama town hall meeting at Plainfield High School back in the Primary Stage of the campaign, when the Democratic nominee was still undecided. A lot of these styles that are mentioned in this post were very predominant there as well. When Barack finished speaking, he walked around a great majority of the gymnasium kissing babies, shaking hands, posing for pictures, signing copies of his book, etc.... These things have obviously become a huge part of today’s campaigns, as personally I feel they kind of give voters a sense that these candidates are real people and that we can actually relate to them. A lot of times, like professional athletes, it is easy to see our candidates and just mark them off as almost "untouchable" and think that they must be unable to relate to common everyday Americans like us. This kind of campaigning however helps portray the sense that candidates can relate to everyday people like you and I.