A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

McCain, Step up to the Plate, Will Ya?

After watching the second presidential debate Tuesday night, I am rather disappointed in McCain's performance. I would not say that he was terrible, but rather mediocre. He needed to be exceptional. His words, I felt, fell on deaf ears. They lacked innovation and real substance. His policies have some unique characteristics and he has some good ideas for our country. Unfortunately, the majority of people are not political scientists nor do they thoroughly research every candidate running for office by taking a look at their websites. We are a very technology oriented society, and we always want to absorb information in the easiest way possible. Maybe it is just easier to listen to the candidates speak then to research them online because heaven forbid that might actually require us to read! I feel like McCain assumes everyone knows the details of all of his plans. However, there is so much information to absorb that I would not be surprised if people involved with his campaign do not even know this much. We do not mind continuously hearing exactly what his healthcare plan entails or how he truly will lead us to energy independency. What we get tired of hearing is how many times he voted against his party or how experienced he is. We know this. We get it. What we need to know are the details, and he needs to present these with confidence. I think maybe he is afraid he will set up his plans to be attacked by Obama if he puts them out there. By not being very specific, he can control the attacking in the debate. However, I really think this is going to cost him the election. He keeps telling the people to trust him, but they will not unless he gives them a true reason to do so.

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/19ba2f1c-c03f-4ac2-8cd5-5cf2edb527cf.htm

http://www.johnmccain.com//Informing/Issues/17671aa4-2fe8-4008-859f-0ef1468e96f4.htm

http://www.johnmccain.com/Issues/jobsforamerica/

2 comments:

kapletcher said...

It's just a feeling, but I feel like McCain is playing daddy to the people. I guess daddy knows best... but he's not my daddy.He says he knows how to fix everything and to trust him, but it's kind of hard to believe him when, like this post says, he never gives details. "I know" doesn't cut it. Don't crack jokes. Don't try and be hip. Don't try to prove your young and cool. Give me some details. Give me some substance. Give me something to believe in.

Sarah Squires said...

I agree with you that McCain's reluctance to publicly share the details of his economic plan almost seems like he is afraid that it will be picked apart by the Obama clan and others. I recently read the plan on his website and I really feel like people need to be directed there and encouraged to read it. It is specific and can be easily understood. I agree that if he doesn't start putting the details out there it may cost him the election.