A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Age, is it an Issue?

Is McCain to old to be President?

"I am older than dirt and have more scars than Frankenstein," John McCain likes to say.

John McCain is 72 years old. He nearly lost his life in the Vietnam War, he had war injuries, he had malignant melanoma (one of the most dangerous forms of skin cancer), and there were rumors at one time that he was crazy.

All in all no matter the age of a candidate, they may have been injured at war, may get severely sick, or even die at anytime from any sort of accident. "The point being: Electing a young person to the presidency is no guarantee that he or she will be healthy or stay healthy" (Simon, CBS News). For example, John Kennedy, at 43, had been sick since he was 13 with Addison's disease, an endocrine disorder. It was just kept from the public.

If McCain wins the campaign for President, he will be the oldest to be inaugurated into office. I believe it is a bit risky to have someone of his age to run, but then again, there will be a Vice President that shares the same views to back him up.

5 comments:

Jason Adams said...

Age is an issue no matter what. Obama is constantly under fire for "being too young" and not having enough experience. McCain is attacked for being old all the time. As shallow as it sounds, I do believe McCain is too old for the job. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying that it shouldn't be done. I think by choosing Palin as his running mate he was making a political move; the same could be said of Obama to allow for someone with experience (or the perception of experience). Think if McCain were to get in office and rerun as the incumbent: he would be 80 when it is all said and done.

Michael Neese said...

I agree with Jason. Age is always an issue when it's viewed in the public. I don't believe McCain is too old for the job or that Obama is too young. I do think that they both have some dfferent obstacles that are results of their age. Either man can do the job, but one can handle things better than the other.

MLBasey said...

I too, think that age is an issue! I think that being too old though is more of an issue than being too young. Obama is said to be too young to be president, because he hasnt "experienced" things. I think that is plain out dumb! I think the main age issue is the fact that McCain is way too old. I mean if you think about it I would rather see a young person who is going to learn during his time, than someone that old just die or something like that...just because of his age!

mili said...

First of all, I can't believe Michelle just killed McCain. LOL!
On a more serious note, I do think people see age as an issue. Every little thing in politics is, or at one point or another, will be an issue. Obama is said to be too young. McCain, on the other hand, too old. I personally do not think age should be a bigger issue than just health itself. If McCain is healthy enough, then I don’t believe his age would be a problem. I did see pictures of presidents before and after 8 years in office though, and judging from those images, being president is a stressful job.

Check it out yourself: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/popup?id=4205015&contentIndex=1&start=false&page=2

Jihan k said...

think age is a big issue, yes people may this bc mccain is 72 hes more experienced , but i dont believe thats neccesarly true .. i'd rather have someone like obamas age so that he is up to date to whats goin on around him.