A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Debate

After sitting down and watching the debate in front of my computer this weekend, I noticed that we have two distinctly different candidates running for office. It was interesting how I felt like they did not want to talk to each other directly at all. McCain was softer spoken, and slower speeched rather than Obama who was more aggressive in his voice and louder. His faster pace made him able to put forth more information about his stances on issues and choices than McCain. I did notice that Obama's answers for the most part were close ended. He did not lead much for McCain to address in return. But as for when McCain spoke out, it always caused Obama to want to cut in and respond. Obama and McCain at times both disagreed with each other, but I felt like Obama showed that McCain was trying to speak on his platforms and wasn't exactly understanding where he was coming from. Obama made that clear every time he would interrupt and speak, and knowingly enough McCain let him take over his thunder. This showed me that McCain was not as strong as Obama was. I feel like Obama took more of a leader role in this debate with actually wanting to debate issues. McCain stuttered and flustered with many words at points, and did not seem as knowledgeable as Obama did. I felt like overall Obama won the debate with the presence he put forth and his ability to continue on without seeming to be upset or instigated like I believe McCain was trying to do. Especially since it appeared as though McCain was getting frustrated with how Obama would interrupt him.

No comments: