A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Check the facts

While I watched the debate Friday night, I felt frustrated by being presented with facts from both candidates that seemed contradictory. In response to some of McCain's accusations, Obama would say, that's simply not true. Oftentimes, both of them would say yes, that is true, but here's the full story.

Well, what is the story? What did Henry Kissinger actually say? Why does McCain want to give $4 million tax breaks to oil companies? Did Obama really say that we would have universal health care?? Why has Obama voted to support tax breaks to oil companies and to cut off funding for troops in Iraq?

For answers, I recommend this site:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gADGK1dtPMQ5bMNUHc70I2fLYGGwD93EQLEO0

2 comments:

Michael Neese said...

I didn't get a chance to watch the debate but had heard from several people, that it had more hype then what it was worth. I was told that they both hardly answered their questions like most assumed they would.

rruelas said...

I definitely agree. Every time there's a debate, or even a speech, both of the candidates never give a clear answer on what their plans are. They always use vague messages like "it's time for a change" etc. I've also noticed that the candidates often tell the public that they will pour money into programs for the poor, farmers, small business owners, etc; but they never tell you how the plan works or where they'll get the money from!