A blog written by Manchester College students studying the 2008 presidential campaign.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Obama to Guest Star on SNL

Saturday, September 13th, Senator Barack Obama is scheduled to appear on Saturday Night Live.  However, this is not his first cameo.  He first appeared last Halloween in an opening skit where he was welcomed to a White House Halloween costume party by "Bill and Hillary Clinton".  When asked why he did not wear a costume, Obama replied, "I have nothing to hide.  I enjoy being myself.  I am not going to change who I am just because it's Halloween."
The cameo aired while Obama was behind in the polls to Hillary Clinton.  Afterwards, the senator has a fluctuation in his numbers.  According to Pollster.com, in October of 2007, Clinton lead Obama 38% to 27%.  Two weeks after the SNL episode aired, Clinton gained some cushion with a 45% to 20% lead.  Although I do not have significant evidence to conclude the appearance did not boost support, it does raise the question as to will this appearance hurt him?
Sadly enough, Obama may not be present in New York for the show.  His campaign advisers have mentioned that if Hurricane Ike continues to southern Texas, his work will displace him there.  
Personally, I think revisiting the SNL stage is a very clever and strategic move for the Obama campaign.  There is the thought that if a candidate is to visit the Colbart Report or Daily Show, they have gained youth support.  I think much is the same for SNL.  Obama has banked, figuratively and literally, on the youth voters, so portraying himself as someone who can joke around too will be beneficial.  
Although I cannot guarantee he will be dancing with Ellen (check it out on youtube), I have a promising feeling it will be entertaining.  In addition, it will definitely be beneficial to reaffirm youth votes and/or gather new ones.

2 comments:

lmbutterbaugh said...

As a lover of self-deprecating humor, I'd have found it to be quite enjoyable (and dare I say pragmatic?)to see Barack Obama on stage with the rest of the Saturday Night Live crew poking fun at the political circus--himself included!

A witty performance, in my opinion, would have made Obama seem even more amiable--more importantly, even more human. He's always been known to "reach out" to citizens on a rather personal level, and that aspect of his personality and style seems to win Americans over.

Adam VanZile said...

I find it a bit unprofessional for Obama to appear on SNL. I would personally enjoy seeing someone of his reputation and status appearing on the show; I would find it funny.

I think most of the younger population (18-25 years old) would agree with me that it would be entertaining to see Obama appear on the show. I think a lot of the older population (25+) views SNL as negative.

For the sake of his campaign and professionalism, Obama needs to avoid the show. I think appearing on SNL would impact the younger voters in a positive way, but influence the older voters in a negative manner.